Recent surveys have shown that rates of anxiety are up, especially among young people. What’s going on? And if you’re someone of any age who struggles with anxiety, what can you do about it? Those are just a few of the questions I ask my guest today. His name is Kevin Ashworth and he’s the clinical director at the NW Anxiety Institute. Today on the show Kevin and I discuss the difference between regular worrying and anxiety disorders, the ill effects of anxiety, and its causes. Kevin then explains some of the different ways anxiety manifests itself in men and women and some of the theories out there as to why it’s has been on the uptick. We end our conversation with research-backed ways to get handle on your anxious feelings.
- What started Kevin’s interest in the area of anxiety?
- How can anxiety be debilitating?
- What’s the first sign of anxiety?
- The relationship between anxiety and self-medication
- Are some people more prone to anxiety disorders?
- Environmental components of anxiety
- Why anxiety disorders are on the rise among young people
- How are anxiety and depression related?
- How anxiety manifests itself in men
- The irrational fears that drive anxiety
- Coping with anxiety
- What is exposure therapy?
- Focusing on what you can control
- How to handle anxiety in your kids
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- AoM series on male depression
- Quit Catastrophizing
- How to Fall Asleep Fast
- Exposure Therapy
- 5 Tools for Thriving in Uncertainty
- Circles of Concern and Influence
- Rejection Therapy
- Overcoming Your Shyness
Connect With Kevin
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen to the episode on a separate page.
Subscribe to the podcast in the media player of your choice.
Proper Cloth. Stop wearing shirts that don’t fit. Start looking your best with a custom fitted shirt. Go to propercloth.com/MANLINESS, and enter gift code MANLINESS to save $20 on your first shirt.
Saxx Underwear. Everything you didn’t know you needed in a pair of underwear. Get $5 off plus FREE shipping on your first purchase when you use the code “manliness” at checkout.
LegalZoom. Providing your small business legal needs, but without getting charged by the hour. Instead, you just pay one low upfront price. Check out LegalZoom’s Business Legal Plan at LegalZoom.com and get special savings when you enter MANLINESS at checkout
Click here to see a full list of our podcast sponsors.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #396: How to Be Less Anxious appeared first on The Art of Manliness.
(via The Art of Manliness)