We’ve all probably thought about it. What would we do and how would we fare after a societal collapse? My guest today has spent his career helping individuals get ready for such a situation. His name is James Rawles. He’s the owner of survivalblog.com and the author of several bestselling books on prepping, including How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It.
Today on the show, Jim and I discuss how our dependency on the power grid makes us more vulnerable to disaster than we’d like to think, and all the downstream consequences that would happen if the power grid went down for a significant amount of time, including loss of water, sewage services, and a disruption of supply chains.
We then dig into what you can do to prepare for such a situation, including securing a water supply, storing food, and the skills and mindset you need to weather a crisis. Even if you don’t think you’re interested in prepping, it’s really interesting to think through what you’d need to do to survive an apocalyptic scenario.
- The vulnerability of the US power grid, and scenarios that might cause it to go down
- How water gets from its source to your home
- The public health/sewage nightmare of a power grid collapse
- The importance of knowing how to filter and purify water
- Why grocery stores no longer have extra stocks of food
- The problem with a hyper-optimized and hyper-efficient society
- The “YOYO” mindset
- Getting started if you have no plan for survival preparedness
- Making physical room for long-term food and water storage, even in a small living space
- Why you need to practice cooking and eating your survival foods
- Why you need self-defense/weapons training
- The two-key force multipliers in modern self-defense
- Dealing with medical needs in a survival scenario
- The value and importance of being health and in shape
- Why you need patience in developing your survival plan
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Black start
- 2003 Northeast blackout
- Hetch Hetchy
- How to Filter & Purify Water
- Just-In-Time inventory system
- Hydration for the Apocalypse: How to Store Water for Long-Term Emergencies
- Jim’s “List of Lists”
- How to Bug-In
- Mountain House #10 Cans
- MURS radio
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen to the episode on a separate page.
Subscribe to the podcast in the media player of your choice.
Slow Mag. A daily magnesium supplement with magnesium chloride + calcium for proper muscle function. Visit SlowMag.com/manliness for more information.
The Black Tux. Wedding season is here. Online no-hassle tux rentals with free shipping both ways. Get $20 off your first purchase by visiting theblacktux.com/manliness.
LifeProof Backpacks. LifeProof backpacks are packed with smart features to thrive in all conditions. Get a 15% discount by visiting lifeproof.com/manliness.
Click here to see a full list of our podcast sponsors.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #423: How to Survive a Grid-Down Disaster appeared first on The Art of Manliness.
(via The Art of Manliness)