Tinder’s parent company, Match Group, made its relationship official with dating app Hinge after acquiring it for an undisclosed amount.
No price was disclosed, but reports show that the company acquired a 51% ownership in the company, with the option to buy the remaining 49% within the next 12 months.
In a world of dating apps, Match Group is a swinger
The dating app conglomerate has become a massive player (word play intended) in online dating by swiping right on every promising independent brand it comes across.
Match Group’s portfolio currently houses Tinder, OkCupid, Match, Plenty of Fish, and almost 40 others. Hinge is yet another example of Match Group giving its letterman jacket to a heavy hitter in the space.
They’re not hot enough for Bumble though…
And it’s likely to stay that way. Match sued the “anti-Tinder” dating app over alleged patent and trademark violations a few months back, and Bumble is now countersuing for $400m.
The busy bees alleged that Match had engaged in a “tortious and fraudulent campaign” after it failed to buy them out for a reported $450m. We’re no experts, but acting “tortious” is certainly no way to get in bed with a dating app.
The post Dating domination: Match is now going steady with ‘classier’ dating app, Hinge appeared first on The Hustle.
(via The Hustle)