Have only 20 minutes to put dinner on the table? Try this protein-packed kung pao chicken, courtesy of Fit Foodie Finds, made healthier with less sodium and oil. If you’re craving extra heat, add more Sriracha or chili paste.
Healthier Kung Pao Chicken
- 3 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced into bite-size pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 24 ounces fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Optional garnish: crushed peanuts or cashews
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Prep stir-fry sauce by mixing together soy sauce, Sriracha, chili paste and honey in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1 tablespoon minced garlic in a large skillet or wok on medium-high heat.
Add chicken, and sauté for about 5 minutes. Remove chicken (it will only be partially cooked), and set aside.
Place the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil and garlic in the pan and turn to high heat. Add green beans, and sauté for 5–7 minutes, or until they begin to soften. Add chicken, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Add stir-fry sauce, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for a few more minutes, until the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Add sesame seeds, and let sit for at least 5 minutes, so the sauce can thicken a bit more. Serve hot.
Garnish with peanuts or cashews as desired.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Per serving: Calories: 375; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 82mg; Sodium: 495mg; Carbohydrate: 14g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 8g; Protein: 30g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 717mg; Iron: 10%; Vitamin A: 13%; Vitamin C: 20%; Calcium: 6%
(via MyFitnessPal Blog)