They say that manners make the man. But how do you display good manners without coming off as awkward and in a way that elevates life both for yourself and for others? Today I bring back writer David Coggins to discuss etiquette and manners in the modern age. I had David on the show a year ago to discuss his book Men and Style. He’s now out with a new book called Men and Manners. Today on the show, David shares how style and manners are connected and why good manners are like good poetry. We then discuss best etiquette practices concerning tipping, greetings, attending parties, and texting. We end our conversation highlighting the grace and power of handwritten notes.
- How are style and manners connected?
- David’s take on roller bags when traveling
- Style staples that are also comfortable
- How manners are like poetry
- Tipping etiquette (including baristas)
- How to physically give a tip gracefully
- Why a man should always carry cash
- Party etiquette — when to arrive, bringing a gift, RSVPing, etc.
- Why greeting people has become awkward
- How to make a good first impression with your place
- Decorating without breaking the bank
- Does a man use emojis?
- What’s up with exclamation points? Why are they so ubiquitous?
- Social media etiquette
- Bringing back the handwritten note
- Why David strongly dislikes the appearance of bare feet in public
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- My first show with David about men and style
- How Manners Made the World
- The Importance of Good Manners
- AoM’s style archives
- How to Fly Like a Gentleman
- My podcast with Walker Lamond
- Digital Manners and Etiquette for the Modern Man
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Tipping
- How to Use Valet Parking Without Looking Like an Idiot
- A Gentleman Never Arrives Empty-Handed
- How to Make a Good First Impression With Your Place
- Put Away Your Smartphone: Propaganda Posters for the Modern Age
- Paris in Winter by David Coggins (David’s father)
- The Art of Letter Writing
- 7 Letters to Write
- How to Open a Door for a Woman
Connect With David
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Saxx Underwear. Everything you didn’t know you needed in a pair of underwear. Get $5 off plus FREE shipping on your first purchase when you use the code “manliness” at checkout.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #422: Men & Manners — Tipping, Emojis, and Much More appeared first on The Art of Manliness.
(via The Art of Manliness)