Do you feel stuck in moving forward with your plans and goals in life? Well my guest today has some no-nonsense advice on how to shift out of neutral and get going again.
His name is Bernie Roth. He’s the co-founder of the Stanford design school and the author of The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life. Today on the show, Bernie explains to us what “design thinking” is and how its principles can be used to create a flourishing life for ourselves. We discuss how suspending the belief that everything has meaning can help you find new meaning, why reasons are just excuses, how to really get at the root of our problems, the difference between trying to do something and doing it, and how action is the best form of learning. We end our conversation discussing how you build true confidence by consistently taking small steps towards your goal and making the achievement habit a part of your life.
If you need help in getting unstuck in life, you’re really going to enjoy this podcast.
- What is design thinking?
- What Bernie means by “achievement”
- The power in not imbuing everything with meaning
- Why do humans tend toward thinking about the problems in our way rather than the opportunities?
- Why obstacles are actually very important on the path to success
- Why excuses and reasons are BS
- How to reframe problems in order to solve them
- Differentiating between “trying” and “doing”
- The way our internal dialogue affects whether we’re trying or doing
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Stanford d.school
- 10 Overlooked Truths About Taking Action
- Meditations on the Wisdom of Action
- Why Action is the Answer
- How to Have a Good Day, Every Day
- Make Every Day a Good Day With This Morning Routine
- The 7 Habits: Begin With the End in Mind
- The Obstacle is the Way
- How to Overcome Nice Guy Syndrome
- Never Explain; Never Complain
Connect With Bernie
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen to the episode on a separate page.
Subscribe to the podcast in the media player of your choice.
Slow Mag. A daily magnesium supplement with magnesium chloride + calcium for proper muscle function. Visit SlowMag.com/manliness for more information.
Proper Cloth. Stop wearing shirts that don’t fit. Start looking your best with a custom fitted shirt. Go to propercloth.com/MANLINESS, and enter gift code MANLINESS to save $20 on your first shirt.
Keeps is clinically proven to help you keep the hair you have. To receive your first month of treatment for free, go to Keeps.com/manliness.
Click here to see a full list of our podcast sponsors.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
The post Podcast #418: How to Get Unstuck appeared first on The Art of Manliness.
(via The Art of Manliness)