- Why was Ryan drawn to this story? How did he end up chronicling it?
- How did Ryan choose an approach to this book? How did he write it differently than most journalists already had?
- The backstory of Gawker.com and its outing of Peter Thiel
- Why it took 4+ years for Thiel to realize he could do something about it
- How did Thiel find and end up paying for Hulk Hogan’s case against Gawker?
- What Ryan meant in calling Thiel a “high agency” individual
- Can a person become high agency? Or are you born that way?
- Why Thiel wants to be underestimated and under-the-radar
- Why competition is for losers
- The difference between conspiracy and war
- Why Thiel sought revenge rather than taking, say, a Stoic approach to the problem
- Did Thiel go too far? Why was his identity and scheme revealed?
- Why secrecy can actually be an effective, powerful tool in getting things done
- The value of privacy in our modern transparent society
- How did all the players in this story turn out?
- What happened when Thiel and Denton met in person?
- Ryan’s takeaways on strategy, getting things done, etc.
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- My first podcast with Ryan: The Obstacle Is the Way
- My second podcast with Ryan: Ego Is the Enemy
- You Need to Stop Watching the News This Year
- Is There Any Reason to Keep Up With the News?
- Nick Denton
- “Peter Thiel is totally gay, people”
- Peter Thiel
- Plutarch’s Parallel Lives
- Zero to One by Peter Thiel
- The Count of Monte Cristo
- 21 Epigrams Every Man Should Live By
- The Misunderstood Machiavelli
- A.J. Daulerio
- The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
Connect With Ryan
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Citizen. Their Promaster collection makes watches for men who push their boundaries. And, with Citizen’s Echo Drive technology, your watch is powered by ANY light and will never need a battery. Go to CitizenWatch.com/podcast to learn more.
The Great Courses Plus. Better yourself this year by learning new things. I’m doing that by watching and listening to The Great Courses Plus. Get one month free by visiting thegreatcoursesplus.com/manliness.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
(via The Art of Manliness)