When you think about diet and nutrition, you probably think about carbs, proteins, and fats. These macronutrients play a huge role in athletic performance and whether you gain or lose weight. But food is also full of micronutrients that are vital for your health and wellbeing. Unfortunately, most people overlook micronutrients, and consequently are deficient in them. My guest today has spent her career researching the ill effects of micronutrient deficiencies and what you can do to optimize them. Her name is Dr. Rhonda Patrick and she’s a biomedical scientist. Today on the show, Rhonda and I discuss micronutrients: what they are, what they do, and why we’re not getting enough of them.
We then dig into her research into nutritional genomics, or how genes affect how your body processes nutrients. We end our conversation discussing how stressing yourself with cold exposure, heat exposure, and fasting can boost your health.
- What are micronutrients? What are the big ones that play a role in our health and disease prevention?
- How recommended daily allotments (RDAs) of vitamins and nutrients are set
- What percentage of people have micronutrient deficiencies?
- Can taking multivitamins make up for deficiencies?
- Can you ever have too much of certain micronutrients?
- How micronutrients stave off age-related diseases, including cancers, later in life
- How easy it is to keep up healthy amounts of micronutrients
- What role do genetics play in our overall nutrition, and how our body processes things?
- What are hormetic stressors?
- The benefits of heat exposure — saunas, hot baths, etc.
- The benefits of cold exposure, and the role genetics plays in those benefits
- What happens in our body when we fast
- What is time-restricted eating? What’s the benefit?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- The Real Science of Nutrition and Supplements
- Diet and Nutrition Advice from the Doctor of Gains
- Bruce Ames’ “triage theory”
- Everything You Know About Cholesterol is Wrong
- Sauna use linked to longer life
- Health Benefits of Cold Showers
- How Your Climate-Controlled Comfort is Killing You
- What Doesn’t Kills Us by Scott Carney
- The Pros and Cons of Intermittent Fasting
- Caloric Restriction and Aging
Connect With Rhonda
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Spotify. Spotify is making it easy for you to stream this podcast and many others like it on your mobile device, desktop app, and smart speaker. Open the app on your mobile device or desktop, click on the “browse” channel then click on the “podcast” section to find the Art of Manliness and many others.
Bespoke Post. A subscription club that offers monthly themed boxes, curated from unique and upcoming brands around the world. Get 20% off your first subscription box by going to BespokePost.com and using promo code MANLINESS at checkout.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
(via The Art of Manliness)