HOTEL HONEGG is no sprawling cookie-cutter chain hotel. This 23-room luxury boutique villa sits 914 meters above sea level on top of a farm-dotted peninsula, with a magnificent view of Lake Lucerne and the surrounding Swiss Alps. The Art Nouveau-style villa was originally built in 1905 and reopened in 2011 after undergoing extensive renovations — which didn’t compromise its historical charm. Each of the 23 rooms is beautifully decorated, but the best part of the whole experience is the infinity pool that overlooks the Lake — and is kept a balmy 34C/93F all year round.
How to get there
Hotel Honegg sits on-top of Switzerland’s famous Mount Bürgenstock. The closest town is Ennetbürgen. If you’re on public transportation, you can take a bus to the Ennetbürgen Post bus stop and the hotel shuttle service will pick you up. By car, Hotel Honegg is 1 hour from Zurich airport, 3 hours from Geneva airport, 20 minutes from Lucerne railway station and 90 minutes from Bern railway station. The road up the mountain is narrow and curvy. If you’re arriving by helicopter, you have permission to land at a meadow 150 metres from the villa, but you’ll have to contact the hotel in advance for details.
What to consider
- Hotel Honegg is truly a 5-star accommodation, so expect the treatment and prices to match.
- From 11:30 till dusk, the Honegg opens its lounge and terrace to the public for drinks and snacks.
- Their spa is legendary and non-guests are welcome. Use of the spa facility starts at 90CHF, but reservations are required and it books out far in advance. Plan accordingly.
- You can rent out a private floor for 12 people, or the entire villa for your event.
- Parking is free and they have 37 spaces available.
- Their restaurants use regional and seasonal ingredients as well as produce their own fruit, vegetables, herbs and honey.
- The staff speaks English.
(via Matador Network)