Cool cucumber soup meets sizzling grilled shrimp in this summery recipe. This chilled soup combines the delicate flavor of cucumbers with silky tofu, zesty limes and fresh herbs. The addition of grilled shrimp takes the protein quotient to a whopping 33 grams.
Grilled Shrimp & Cucumber Gazpacho
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and chopped (4 cups)
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped (3/4 cups)
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft silken tofu
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 (6-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in cool water for 1 hour
Toast sesame seeds in a small, dry saute pan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until nutty-smelling and golden brown, about 3 minutes.
In a blender, combine cucumbers, onions, garlic, parsley, tofu, 3 tablespoons of oil, lime juice and vinegar. Blend until smooth. Season the gazpacho with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and white pepper and chill until needed.
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grill. Toss the shrimp with the remaining olive oil, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Thread the shrimp onto the prepared skewers. Grill skewers until the shrimp are pink and opaque white throughout, about 3 minutes per side.
Pour the soup into four shallow soup bowls and balance the skewers on the edge of the bowls. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Note: The soup can be made up to one day ahead. Whisk to re-incorporate ingredients before serving.
Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup soup and about 10 shrimp
Per serving: Calories: 318; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 183mg; Sodium: 572mg; Carbohydrate: 13g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 33g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 643mg; Iron: 16%; Vitamin A: 11%; Vitamin C: 20%; Calcium: 20%
(via MyFitnessPal Blog)